Saturday, September 20, 2008

Above the Law: Case 1, How to Kill a Ghost: Prolougue.

(I'm on a roll! Okay, for this, this is a murder mystery script, which I will change later into an actual piece of writing, but for now, you must deal with this. To fully understand, John Trahey, the main character, is narrating at points, where I will put in italics. Otherwise, it's description of anything in brackets. Enjoy.)

Above the Law

Case 1: How to Kill a Ghost.

Prologue

(Scanning over an extremely messy desk.)

Voice: In this world, there are people who believe that there nothing stands between them and whatever they want to do. Those who think that there are no chains to hold them back. Those who don't believe in rules, or order, only their ambitions, and nothing in between. Those who are wrong. They only find out when they run to the extent or their chain. But some dogs are strong enough to break a chain. And when this happens, you get a bigger chain. I think I'm done milking that analogy, and will now get to the point.. Some people thing their above the law, but that isn't right. Law, and rules are one of the things that separate us from animals. Some people try and break through the law, and there are people who are made to stop those people, and give them what they deserve. I'm one of those people. My job is to defend those who are being wrongfully accused of crimes. I'm Defence Attorney John Trahey.

(Zooms out on John leaning back on a large chair, feet on the desk.)

John: And right now, I'm so freaking board with my cases!

(Camera switches to door, at the sound of a knock.)

John: Come in Maria! (With hint of annoyance.)

(Door opens, and young woman enters.)

Maria: Good morning sunshine. (Sarcastically, but smiling.)

John: *Mutters*. This is Maria.

(Camera goes to Maria.)


John: She's my assistant, and, I suppose if I have any friend, it's this perky disaster. She's now 20, and doing college here, in (Insert location here.). She came to me when I started this damn career. Five years ago, she came to me, looking for a job. I hadn't put out an add yet, she was just looking for work. So, me being the new attorney in town gave her a job. I didn't really feel like working outside of school hours anyways. She wanted the money for college, and got it a long time ago. I had no idea what the rush was a fifteen, but then again, I never understood some of Maria. She started out as my secretary, but her natural fluke luck, and slight understanding of how my job worked, became my assistant. And when it came time for college, and her acceptance for Yale, for some reason, she didn't want to abandon me, and decided to stay and do school here. And I have to admit, I'd be pretty lost without her as my Assistant.

Maria: We have a case.


John: It's eight am, why aren't you in your boyfriend's bed?

(Maria scowls at him.)


John: We both know that she doesn't have a boyfriend, somehow. She's naive, and the perfect
target.


Maria: I spent my New Years Eve with family. (Said with superiority.)

(Silent for a moment, and Maria gives him an expectant look.)

John: What? Is this the part where you expect me to say that I took this event of change to go apologize to my father? (With sarcasm highly present.) I get that lecture twice a year.


Maria: Well I was going to add that 2020 would sound like a nice time to look back on, seeing as how it's a good number. (With sarcasm.)

(Maria looks at something on the desk, and the camera goes to a book of challenging mind puzzles, Cheetos, and several beers on the desk.)

John: One New Years Eve to remember. (said while removing feet from desk.)

(Maria rolls eyes, and takes out the file tucked under her arm.)

John: Read it out for me.


Maria: Victim, Douglas Hampshire, 52 years of age, boring stuff. Here we are. Victim was shot twice with a 45 caliber pistol- (flipping through pages)

John: Ouch.


Maria: (Gives John a look.) Once in the right leg, supposedly a miss fire, and once in the head. The autopsy is incomplete as the murder occurred at 12:00 am-


John: Just as were all watching time square on the telly.

(Maria gives him another look.)

John: Go on.

(Maria rolls eyes, yet again.)

John: You keep doing that and those pretty eyes will fall out.

(Maria rolls eyes.)

Maria: Anyways. He was killed around then. The defendant is Anna Sanchez, 25 years of age, female-


John: I should hope so with a name like Anna.

Maria: Could you let me finish without a comment for once in your life?


John: Hey, your perky all the time, and I take it upon myself to bring you back to earth. And this is the thanks I get. (Sarcastically, and with some purposely bad dramatics.)

Maria: Caucasian, rumor is that she's the Night Crusader.


(John rolls eyes.)

John: Night Crusaders. There's more than one. (Said with annoyance.


Maria: Can't you accept that maybe people can do extraordinary things?

John: No. There is no way this is one person, there are more, and there's always some manner of trick in the show.


(Maria rolls eyes, man this happens a lot.)

Maria: Fine, whatever.


John: The Night Crusaders are a group of serial killers. Though it's believed to be a single person. I don't think that for a second. They have been wreaking havoc with their killings, which are so random it's a little too like a psyco. It seems like a psyco though, but maybe just a poser. Though that's just stupid. What person in their right mind tries to be a psyco. Nobody, because if they do, then they obviously aren't in their right mind. Either way, they have gotten quite a name for themselves. They are the new fear of the people who walk home late at night. Idiots don't know what a car is. If you move in a fast metal thing, then the sidewalk bound murderer can't get you! Either way, they are of prime importance to the police right now. Which should make it my prime important to me, too bad it isn't. Really, I don't see a lot of originality in them. They never commit interesting crimes.

Maria: Anyways, a gun was found after the murder, but the prints were wiped, but two shots were fired.


(Maria waits.)

Maria: Nothing to say?


John: You have pretty hair. (Sarcasm.)

Maria: So are you getting it so far?

John: Well, I'm guessing that this was dropped in by not Anna, but our good old Detective Sanchez, and knowing the detective, there is probably a nice goody to make it interesting on the inside.

(Maria smirks.)

Maria: The detective left you a note on the inside.

(Maria drops file on desk, and walks out of room.)

(John reaches across his desk, and picks up the file, opening it. On the inside, there is a post it note saying, 'The victim was burned to death five years ago. John grins, and leaves room, and grabs coat.)

John: Maria, grab your coat.

(Maria smirks.)

Maria: Where to? (Sarcastically)

John: Let's pay Detective Sanchez a visit.


(Both walk out door, and then John reaches in, and grabs a bagel from a bag on Maria's desk.)

33 comments:

Dibsy said...

Dang. You're good at this. ;P

Aly K. said...

Dude. I NEED THE SECOND CHAPTER/SECTION/WHATEVER. o.o That was pretty awesome. You are a really good writer. I like the way this was arranged, I loved the chemistry of the characters, or at least the ones that we were exposed to in this first case.
And the introduction was really intriguing and gripping. Awesome job. :)

L.T. John said...

Good show, chap. I like the way that the story is going, and would love a second part.

Nathaniel said...

Thanks you guys! This is something I have been working with for a little while. I tweeked stuff in my head, and such, so it really didn't take too long to write. Also, orgionally, John was a prosecutor, but I decided that it would be more interesting with a defense atourney.

Anywho, I hope to finish a part two by next week. Thanks for the support!

Leah said...

That was really good. I hope you get the next chapter like item up soon!

Dibsy said...

What was the inspiration for this, Nathenial?

Nathaniel said...

Not a lot. I just got bored, and made this up. In fact, I don't even know how it ends yet.

L.T. John said...

Maybe it was Phoenix Wright!!!

Nathaniel said...

OBJECTION! That was certainly a factor, but... WHY WOULD I HAVE NAMED THE MAIN CHARACTER AFTER MY GRANDFATHER, IF IT WAS ABOUT A GAME WITH SILLY NAMES!

L.T. John said...

Maybe it's an anagram for Ah Jet Horny? Or, A Her Nth Joy? Didja think of that, wise guy? huh? HUH?

Nathaniel said...

OBJECTION! YOU CANNOT DEFLECT MY LOGIC WITH YOUR FUNNY!

Dibsy said...

DO YA DIG IT?!?!?! MAH NEW NAME?! w00t!!

Nathaniel said...

Who in god's name are you!?

Dibsy said...

GOGODIBSY BABY! :D

Nathaniel said...

Weird. It's just some new kid. Dibsy hasn't commented in a while.

Dibsy said...

Nooooooo it's me Dibsy!!! Waaaaazzz... I haven't commented in a while because I told you, your pic makes me nervous. If my parents see my commenting on your blog with the f-word on your pic, I will get in trouble. >.< Waaaaaz. Plus, only Aly has come and stopped by and said hi.

Nathaniel said...

Oh, okay little Dibs. I'll remove the f word if it makes you nervouse.

Dibsy said...

Thank you? (sniffles, but then hugz Natty) I'm sorry you had to make this sacrifice.

Nathaniel said...

It's all for you guys. I love you guys, I love you so much, I'ma take you behind the middle school and-*BTTTTTZ* Were experiencing some technical dificulties.

Dibsy said...

Erm...??? 0.0 You should totally say that to Lea. ^^"

Nathaniel said...

Why? Oh, and by the way, that is almost a quote from the show 30Rock, created by Tina Fey, and the quote was said by, some actor, who plays the actor, Tracy Jordan. He's male.

Dibsy said...

Jordan's my brother's name.

Nathaniel said...

IS NOT!

Dibsy said...

Wanna meet my brother? Although I have never met your sister, I doubt that she is any worst than my brother. (UGH)

Nathaniel said...

That is physically impossible. Even my parents would agree with that.

Leah said...

*DESTROYS DIBSY*... *SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY*... *AND SLOWLY*... *DID I MENTION PAINFULLY?*

Nathaniel said...

I really need to work on part two. Oh, hey Dibs, why are you all destroyed. Geez, and all over my new carpet too. Dibs, you need to watch where you get brutally murdered.

Dibsy said...

x.x

WHHHHHHYYY LEEEEAAAAA???!?!?!?! (shall now haunt lea forever and ever and ever and act like some annoying ghost) FOREVER.

x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x

Leah said...

*puts dibsy back together* Sorry about the mess, Natty, but Dibby needed to learn her lesson. *looks pointedly at Dibsy* Did you learn your lesson?

Dibsy said...

Noooooooooo......was this about Leeeeex????

Leah said...

It was fr when Natty was saying how much he loved us all, and you said that he should say that to me. Now have you learned your lesson?

Nathaniel said...

Oh, yeah. Dibsy, your a jerk.

Dibsy said...

(cries) Jerk? JERK? (criessomemore)